Skip to content

word of the week: SPANDREL

June 20, 2010

SPANDREL: A panel in a multistory frame building, between the sill of a window on one level and the head of a window immediately below. It is also what you call the triangular shape formed by the junction of two adjoining arches, or the area where an arch meets the rectangular frame surrounding it.

Compare the Art Deco-like  fluted stainless steel spandrels of the General Growth Properties Building (110 N. Wacker Drive), with the much more simple brick spandrels on the Gage Buildings (24 S. Michigan Ave).
2 Comments leave one →
  1. Rick permalink
    June 21, 2010 1:42 pm

    I’m not sure I’d call the General Growth building “Art Deco.” The AIA Guide calls it “International Style.” (1961, GAPW)

    • June 21, 2010 4:11 pm

      Good catch Rick. I changed it to “Art Deco-like” because though it is an International Style building, the fluted and shiny pilasters seem reminiscent of the Art Deco period. Though the building on a whole is more in keeping with the International Style as you said. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: